Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I am finally online again! It is such a fun experience. :)

Let me try to fill in everyone.

Right now I, along with all the other Small Enterprise Development Volunteers, are in Tamale. We are on our fieldtrip and left Techiman on Saturday. After leaving Techiman we traveled in a tro (which was an orange mercedes van, all 16 volunteers, 1 PCV, 2 teachers, the driver and his mate) north to get to Mole National Park. The PCV that was with us had spent his first year at Mole. It was quite the ride. The road to Mole is a dirt, bumpy road and was pretty rough, however, the road was worth the trip.

Mole is beautiful. After showering and getting settled into our rooms we all had dinner and relaxed. On Sunday morning we had a walking tour of the park. Much of the park is unreachable and because it is still the rainy season we were unable to go very far. This didn't restrict us. We saw a lot of baboons and warthogs, we also saw some elephants and other deer like creatures (forgive me for not knowing). We spend the morning walking around taking it all in. We also had a small class in regards to the park and tourist sites, since most of us will work with tourism in some way.

We left Mole on Monday morning to travel down to Tamale. We had to go on the dirt road again and I ended up with the last seat in the tro, by the window. I had my big sunglasses on and when we reached Tamale, I was covered in dirt. Everyone was laughing at me. It was a scarey site. It was very exciting though because our living accomodations in Tamale (a Catholic Pastoral Center) has running water with shower heads, so I very much enjoyed getting clean. (although there is running water, you do not let it run like we do at home).

Since in Tamale we have been visiting various offices and business to get a sense of how things work. It's quite a nice town and I have enjoyed it. We will leave mid-afternoon tomorrow to head back to Techiman. I am anxious to get back so I can hand wash my clothes!

Forgive me that this will be a long entry-

I have also found out my site. It is a new site so I know very little about it but it is in the Central Region, which is where I did my Vision Quest. The village is Kukyekukyeu (the ky makes a ch sound). I haven't found it on a map yet but it is on the outskirts of Kakum National Park. There is a volunteer that will be placed in Kakum so I am very excited to be able to see her when we travel to Cape Coast and so forth. She is a wonderful lady from Indianapolis!

My project is an ec0-tourism spot working with the bamboo orchestra. Most of the community are farmers but some play music using the bamboo and have formed an orchestra. That is all I know. I will be visiting the site in about three weeks, which I am very anxious for. I am happy to say that the water in the community comes from a borehole so I will not need to filter or boil it. No electricity though - good thing I didn't bring anything to plug in :) The language I am learning is Fante. It is going well. I can count to ten, greet people, say where I am from and where I stay, a lot of the food and so forth. We do about 12 to 16 hours a week but there are just two of us with our teacher.

Okay, so, there is a quick update. Things are going well. I am acclamated to the food and already have my favorites. I have moments of frustration and moments of clarity. I have quite the farmers tan! Already I'm used to the weirdest things, bugs everywhere (although I still don't prefer this), going in a pit latrine, eating with my right hand, going to bed early and so on.

Hopefully when I'm at site I can be more regular on the computer and have more stories than updates. Miss you all!

Sarah

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful experience! I love hearing your stories and they are NEVER too long. Remember that I think of you all the time...Can't wait to hear more about your journey!

Court

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those kinds of stories are never too long and you tell them well. It's great to hear from you and you should know we still talk about you at the airport. Have a great day :D

Shawn

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SARAH!!!
I can't believe I'm just now checking your blog. I apologize! (I tried calling your cell knowing that I was an idiot for thinking you would have access to it!) Life got crazy busy here, and it sounds like your's has become a new adventure everyday. I'm so happy for your exciting experience....it has finally begun (I'm just a little late to be sharing it with you!)

I'm writing from my new personal notebook - in the comfort of my own home. Your comment about not bringing any electrical devices amazes me. I feel like my life is tied down by wires everywhere...

I will routinely start checking your blog and send you a card I've been holding on to a while now. Can you believe this is the first blog I've visited? I need to get out and try new things more often!

Have a blast!

Love, Kate

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I haven't had much luck doing this so I'll try again. I miss you. when you were in school you were at least on the same continent. Ready your happenings I can see you going thru your day and it brings you closer. have fun and learn lots.Love you, Ramona

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep checking everyday to see if you've posted anything new....I'm living vicariously through you!!! I NEED PICTURES!!!=) I'm sure your priorities right now aren't to please my and meet my needs...wait a minute....yes they are....post pictures and more stories....I LOVE YOU!!!!!
Your soul mate---> Maja.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
It's Mom. I've been emailing you, but all my emails are coming back as undeliverable. I'm going to try and send again. You will be getting lots of packages, since I'm mailing in envelopes like they suggest. Sure would love to see some pictures. We miss you. Love ya lots.
Mom & Dad

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I bet the scenery is amazing! I am envious of you. What food are you eating?

I think it is so cool you are to adjust so quickly to your new life.

I miss you!

Lisa

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Missy,
i was happy to here you are having a good time. please keep in touch. can't wait for pictures. i miss you lots. cant't wait to here from you again.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you said something about your vision quest....YOU WENT ON A VISION QUEST??? you must share....unless, it was REALLY personal...in that case, you can send me a personal email =)I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!
maja

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,
Just want to say that I miss you and think of you often. I'm so excited for you to be having this amazing experience. You know I've always said you will go on to do amazing things and this is just the beginning. You inspire me. Take care of you.
Sara

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home