Wednesday, October 12, 2005

OK! I am going to try this for a third time!

I will make it quick so I can atleast post something. I am currently living in Hanseau, outside of Techiman. We have our training in Techiman. I live with my host brother and sister. John, 29, and Dorothy, 19. They are really cousins and Dorothy doesn't actually live in the house but she comes over all day and does everything. Making food and cleaning is an all day thing, especially since there are no conveniences like in the U.S.

They are both nice and both speak English. Also in the house is John's senior brother, his wife and their three children. I have my own room, which is split into two areas, a small living room and bedroom. I am sort of by myself, I have my own door to get in. They have also given me a key to the pit latrine so I am the only one currently using it. There is no running water at the house so we take bucket baths, but we do have electricity, which is pretty nice. I still use my flashlights most of the time. Once it gets dark, around 6 pm, everything winds down. I am usually in my room by 7:30 or 8:00 and I read for a little while or listen to music. I am always asleep by 10 pm, I think usually by 9:00. But the roosters, goats, dogs, and people all get up and start making noise before 6:00 am so I'm always awake by then. The roosters actually start around 5 or so.

We will find out our sites tomorrow so I will start my language and get a better idea of what will be my primary project. Everyone is very excited. As soon as I can I will let everyone know where I will be and what I will be doing. Hope everyone is well!

I will be in touch again.

Sarah

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! I'm so glad you finally posted something...it's been forever. By the way...happy belated b-day from your horrible and forgetful friend.
Maja
p.s. i love you!!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YIPPIE! I'm SO glad to hear what you've been up to! We miss you dearly my friend! Take care & HAVE FUN!!
Love,
Diane

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Things sound great there. I can't wait to hear more about your adventure. Stay safe!!! I miss you.

Lisa

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah!
It's your brother. I was happy to finally hear from you in the postcard, and now I'm more happy that I got to see you post on here. Sounds like you won't be having any "ponfires"! :-P

I guess everything is fine here, I'm just trying to make it through school and getting in shape. Also, Jerod and I went to see my recruiter today, and I think Jerod is pretty dead-on serious about joining...Nothing else going on though. Keep us updated!

Love,
Matt

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear some word on the great adventure. You actually made it sound fairly peaceful. Is it? And how does it compare to what you thought it would be?

Anyway, you are not missing anything in the soap opera "as the prop turns" it's all standard drama. Pretty entertaining sometimes.

Have a great day!
Shawn

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Missy!
Great to hear from you. Have fun! let me know if you need anything. sure do miss you lots. keep in touch. can't wait to see pictures.
love Anne at IHQ

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Sarah!

I really miss talking to you:) i'm glad to hear everything is going well! I was worried for awhile since I hadn't heard anything...Please post again soon! Let me know ifyou need anything
Love,
Court

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home